Sunday, December 28, 2008

Scrooge? Or Ebenezer?

Ebenezer.

Scrooge is a Christmas classic for me. I grew up watching my dad’s excitement about watching that movie every year. It brings a smile to me to remember his anticipation and how the words “I love that movie” would bound from his mouth as the credits rolled. I love being a witness to how Scrooge transforms right before our eyes. Christmas, and all the holidays have a way of bringing out the best in people.

Twas the week before Christmas, and I got cash-back from a self-scan checkout at the grocery store…and forgot to grab my $20. Three days later, when I went to my wallet for said bill, I realized it wasn’t there. (Yes, THREE DAYS…good indication of how much I actually use cash anymore.)

“It was meant to go to someone who needs it more than me.”

“A child is going to get a Christmas present now, because of the parent finding money to buy the gift.”

“It is a lesson in letting go.”

I believed this. Of course, I needed to let the initial frustration subside, but I believed that it happened for a reason. And yet, I wondered if the money would be returned…

I was amazed and yet not entirely surprised that the money had been returned. Given that I was able to identify the day and the specific checkout where I had left the money, I got my $20 back.

I am going to give it away. This is money that was gone to me. Now that it has returned, I have started doing small, random and anonymous acts of kindness for strangers. It feels good to pay for the order of the person behind you in the drive-through. It feels really, really good.

Good Samaritans do exist in this world. I know it. You know it…or at least I hope you do. Despite hearing about the negativity around us, I chose to remember that there is still a great deal of good around us.

I’m feeling a bit like Tiny Tim, “Merry Christmas, every one!”


…lilybelle

No comments: